Thursday, October 25, 2007

My Sleeping Giant Angel Baby


We are still trying to figure out the whole sleeping thing here in the Taylor home. It seems Grayden cannot make up his mind about whether he wants to go to sleep with or without crying. I personally have been torn about the sleeping baby debate. Originally I was against crying then I second guessed the idea. Here we are several weeks later and Grayden is still having trouble. I think I have decided to throw all "recommendations" in a pot, stir them up, along with mommy intuition, and do what I think is best. I just have to remember not to discuss them with too many people.

Along these same lines...

For the past two days Grayden and I have slept for two hour naps together on our red chair in the livingroom. For some reason he cannot sleep more than 30 to 45 minutes, if that, in his bed or with me in my bed. Whats the deal? When he wakes from those he usually cries and is unhappy. When he wakes up in the morning and from these long naps with me he is happy and ready to play. What am I suppose to do? He needs to sleep so his brain can develop normally, but according to certain sources he will be too dependant on me if I don't make him cry it out and this does not seem to work.

Ugh.

Oh, one more thing of note. He has had SEVERAL baths thus far in his short life, but the past four or five have been terrible. Actually, the bath itself is fine, but as soon as he gets the towel on he starts SCREAMING to the point of spitting up. What the heck? This is a new development that we cannot figure out. The only way to calm him is to nurse.

3 comments:

Kelli said...

First, both of mine always screamed after a bath for several months. I think around maybe four or five months, they got to where they loved it. Just be patient on that one. Second, you are right in stirring all the recommendations and mommy intuitions up together. That's perfect. And yeah, don't discuss them too much, because someone will always tell you you are horrible for whatever decision you make. Do what's best for YOU AND HIM. On that same note, those "certain sources" that say he will become too dependent on you need to relax a little. I nursed Ewan to sleep every night for the entire first year of his life, and he slept with us 90% of the time. He'd even go back and forth b/w the crib and our bed a few times a night. And he took naps with me every single day. Not that that is best, but my point is that when I weaned him after that, I never had a problem. He wasn't too dependent, and kept sleeping right on through every night. I wish I could help you on the 30-45 minutes naps. Some babies are just like that. It's so easy when you first have a baby to worry about every little tiny thing, and I don't blame you. (I worried Ewan would et shaken baby syndrome just by riding in the car! I worried about EVERYTHING.) But his brain will develop just fine. Just do what you can, and everything will fall into place. He's still so very young, and a routine will work itself out the older he gets. Don't stress out too much about him needing you too much, and don't put too much stock in other sources, just repeat your statement: "I think I have decided to throw all "recommendations" in a pot, stir them up, along with mommy intuition, and do what I think is best. I just have to remember not to discuss them with too many people."
And I hope by posting this, I'm not being pushy, just trying to be helpful

Mariah said...

Thanks a bunch kelli!

Lindy said...

Mariah--Miss Lucy often only takes short naps during the day so I asked our pediatrician--he said that remember she's not very active yet. I think when she starts crawling and stuff she'll need more rest, so for now if she's happy, I'm happy! As far as the cry to sleep thing goes, my mom always let us cry (not uncontrollably or anything, but she always said baby is ok if she cries for X minutes depending on their age). My mother-in-law would never! We are trying to find a happy medium, so that if the cry is just whining and complaining it's ok, but if it is a real distress cry we don't let it go on for long. She's tricky though, because she'll be doing this shrill distress cry and then you go in there, lean over her crib, and she'll smile and laugh. Very, very sneaky! Anyways, I hope you guys are doing well. We miss you!